Sunday, September 3, 2023

Somebody's Missing

 


Today is Sunday, September 3, 2023. As I sip another cup of coffee, I can hear my husband and daughter upstairs watching Formula One. Morgan is spending a few days with us for this long Labor Day weekend. We have done a lot of fun stuff together starting Wednesday night when she and I attended the Jonas Brothers concert. We will wrap up the long weekend tomorrow at Globe Life Field to see the Rangers and Astros play baseball.

It has been a pleasant few days minus the worry we had yesterday when Walker County went up in flames and we thought my parents would have to evacuate. Although there are still more than 4000 acres ablaze, the fire is 40% contained and all evacuation orders have been lifted. So, yay for that good news.

Meanwhile, I'm a bit low. Dylan has been gone for over three weeks, but it feels like months. I have not heard his voice or even received a letter in the mail. This is very likely not his fault because we have been having problems with our mail lately and all I can do is hope that they finally get all our mail to us.

I have heard that several of the officer candidates have been given an email or will be getting to place a 10 minute phone call soon. The only reason I know they finished indoc phase is because some of the candidates were given permission to make a 60 second phone call if they had family in Florida so they could check in after the hurricane.

I know Dylan is safely in Rhode Island. I know he is still in his class and hasn't been rolled or else I would have received a phone call. My mom heart is aching right now though. I just want a quick email or phone call even if only 60 seconds so I can know he's ok. I want to get just a word from him. So many people outside of this OCS world think it's just like a semester at college. Wrong. In college, your kids can call you or text you. You can find out how they are doing. You can send care packages. Heck, if they aren't too far away, you can even go visit.

This is so hard for me. I'm thankful for the Facebook groups where I can communicate with other parents and spouses of the candidates. It makes me not feel as alone. We have heard some interesting stories from this class. On day one, some candidates got rolled and some dropped. Every step of the way is hard because these men and women don't just have to be strong physically and mentally/emotionally, but they also have to be highly academic. They have to get up at 4 in the morning and they don't go to bed til very late. They have to be constantly screamed while remaining focused and under control. 

I have faith in God and in Dylan. But this mom heart, oh my mom heart. Please Lord, let me hear my son's voice if only for a brief moment. I am enjoying the weekend, but my baby is missing.





No comments:

Post a Comment