Thursday, October 1, 2015

Comfort Us So We Can Comfort Others



If you never experience loss or defeat, how can you help people who are suffering those things?

"He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us." 2 Corinthians 1:4

God comforts us when we lose. He comforts us when we get hurt. He comforts us when we fail or get sick or suffer. Those are the times we need comfort. When we're winning, we don't need comfort. When we're healthy and strong and things are going well, we don't need comfort. It's during the dark and difficult times that we need comfort. And God is faithful to comfort us every time we hurt. I have much personal experience with this so I know.

I've been thinking a lot about this lately because I've had to watch my family torn apart this year by some troubles so big we can barely breathe. All four of us have experienced defeat and destruction, some of it as a family unit and some as individuals. Over and over I have said that I can bear my own hurt, but I don't want my kids to suffer.

But that's so very wrong of me. If I keep them from suffering, I keep them from the blessing of experiencing God's comfort during the bad times. If I try to create this perfect little world for them, I rob them of the blessing of pain. They need to know what it feels like to lose. They need to know what it feels like to be lonely or afraid or sick or lost. They need to know what it feels like to make a C on a test when they worked super hard studying for it. They need to know what it feels like to come in last place on a race they've trained hard for. They need to know what it feels like to not have enough money to buy something they want.

Why do my kids need to suffer and why should I not stand in the way of their suffering? Because without the bad stuff, they have no need for a Good Savior .Without suffering, they don't need Jesus to come in and rescue them. And without suffering, they have no idea what other hurting people are enduring. They cannot truly and profoundly care about the suffering of others unless they also have experienced pain.

And when my kids receive comfort from God, they will then be able to comfort someone who is hurting. And that's why they exist. They are not here to store up great awards and treasures for themselves. They are here to love God and to serve Him.

Pain and suffering make us better people in the end. The weakest people are those who had everything handed to them and who always won. Those are the ones who have no idea how to truly love someone and how to comfort those who are suffering.

The strongest people are those who endure hardships. Those are the ones who learn to depend on God and who truly understand that His grace is sufficient. When I am weak, I am strong.

As much as I feel hurt and defeated by this year, I know it's producing something good. As much as I hate seeing the defeat of my children, I know that ultimately, they will be better, kinder, much more compassionate people as a result of their suffering. So, thank you Lord for the suffering of my children. Thank you for your comfort. Now, please take the four of us and use us to comfort those who are hurting today.



No comments:

Post a Comment